Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Emergency Fatigue

Lately, there have been grumblings across the internet about the amount of aid being raised for foreign countries. Some have taken issue with the fact that America offers aid to others when we still have homeless, hungry, and uninsured people living within our own borders.

The reality of it is that we have the means and resources to give help to those individuals within our borders. There are food banks, shelters, and medicare just to name a few programs. But aside from all of that, when we needed help, other countries were there for us.

I'll be the first to say that I am suffering from Emergency Fatigue. I'm not sure if this is an actual term but it accurately describes the way I feel everytime I turn on the t.v. and see another telethon. I can't afford my cell phone bill as it is, why would I text you $10?

For me, it's not just about Haiti. It's about the tsunami, Katrina, the housing bubble, the stock slide, Haiti, Chile, and all the other emergencies that have occured. It seems to me that one of two things has take place. Either a) no one thought that it would be a good idea to have a reserve a.k.a. "rainy day fund" for occasions such as this or b) we've got an effing monsoon on our hands. In my opinion, it hasn't stopped raining since 2005.

I think that most of the Americans that are being vocal about their frustrations are just tired. Tired of the unemployment. Tired of the BS going on in Congress. Tired of people with their hands out. Tired of feeling The Man's hands in our pockets. Tired of not having the answers or having that little extra to give.

You might say, "But it's just $10". The reality of it is that I don't have $10. I over spent by $10 last night at the grocery store and now I have to figure out which one of my bills I'm going to short. My mom? She doesn't have $10 either. She'll work a whole month before she sees her first paycheck.

I'm not saying this to make excuses but when you think about it. How many times can you see a starving face before it doesnt affect you anymore? How many refugee camps does it take for you to become callous? Now, for me, it's like seeing panhandlers on the street. I just keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails