Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Brother, My Hero


When I woke up this morning, I reached out for my alarm clock and saw money.


That couldn't have been right, so I rolled back over, closed my eyes and started again.


When I opened my eyes, I saw money.

I closed them very tightly. Rubbed them a couple of times. Refocused and this time I didn't see money. I saw MONEY. A stack of twenties.

I bolted upright and looked around. It was my room. I was still dressed. My night clothes were all intact. So where in the hell did this money come from? Is there a money fairy? Because I've been praying to her for a long time and I'm not complaining 'cause the chick picked a great day to show up.

Reaching out, I grasped the money in my hands and began counting.

One, two, three, four, five,... twenty-eight, twenty-nine, thirty.

One, two, three, four, five,... twenty-eight, twenty-nine, thirty.

Six Hundred Dollars.

SIX HUUUUUNDRED DOLLARS!

My heart leapt. I smiled. I frowned.

I can only think of one person who knew that I needed six-hundred dollars AND had the means to come up with it within twelve hours AND would be willing to give it to me.

Ethan.

I was holding his ticket to North Carolina in my hands.

I went to him, crying softly, and poked him to wake him up.

Ethan: *grumble, mumble, mumble*

Me: Wake up.

Ethan: What? No.

Me: Did you give me money?

Ethan: No.

Me: Did you give me six hundred dollars?

Ethan: Sounds like Christmas came early for you.

Me: Why?


Ethan: You said you needed it.


Me: No, I told you about my day. Take your money back. I can't take it.


Ethan: I got you. You were crying and you need it. Just take it.


Me: *shakily* I can't pay you back.


Ethan: I didn't ask you to. Just do me a favor?


Me: What?


Ethan: Next time you need something... just ask me. And if I've got it, you'll get it.


That was when I broke down into tears, wrapped my arms around my brother's neck and just cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails