Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Funny Bone or My Father's Acceptance That I'm a Big Girl Now


My dad has accepted that I am all grown up and it happened in a Chipotle.


We weren't doing anything special. We weren't even having a conversation. We were sitting at the bar in the window, him noshing a burrito and me drifting in and out of twilight, when he leaned over and said, "You'll have to find a comedy club in Atlanta so we can go there when I visit".


I wasn't moved to tears, but I did sit up. The vocal acknowledgement that he was finally behind me was great to say the least. I needed him on my side, if only so I don't feel like I'm making this journey completely alone.


We didn't talk about it after that. Actually, he changed the subject and started talking to Ethan, Cam, Theo, and Jason. But that's ok. I'm slowly figuring my dad out.


And for right now, this is enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails